College is a great opportunity to meet new people and form lasting friendships. Sometimes, it can be tricky to find friends on campus so here are a few tips to get you started.
How Do I Meet People at Columbia?
- Stay positive. A positive attitude will attract others to you.
- Be patient. Great friendships take time to build.
- Relax and be yourself. Remember that you do not need to change who you are to fit in with new friends.
- Get involved. There are a variety of student groups on campus that can match your interests such as intramural sports, religious and spiritual groups, fraternities and sororities, and much more.
- Read campus newspapers and blogs:
- Check event listings for things to do:
- Connect in class. Sit next to someone you don’t know and start a conversation. Ask about the assignments, the professor, or studying tips. Organize a study group for a great chance to connect with other students outside of class.
- Study outside of your room, in the lounge, or in the library and make friends on study breaks.
- Introduce yourself to people living on your floor or in your building.
- When eating, sit with someone who is sitting alone. Introduce yourself and ask if you can eat with them.
- Challenge yourself to meet one new person a day.
- Introduce your friends to other friends. This will help build your network and people may start introducing you to their friends.
- Take notice of flyers posted around campus for events and opportunities to join new student groups.
What Do I Say / Do?
- Ask open-ended questions. This can initiate conversations and show that you are interested in getting to know someone.
- Don’t force yourself to say/do anything that feels uncomfortable or unsafe.
- Stay true to your morals, values and opinions. These are what make you unique and special. Celebrate and share these with others.
- Ask about classes or activities on campus.
- Use good listening skills when getting to know someone. Ask others about themselves. Do not get distracted by your cell phone or take over the conversation.
- Find common interests that could include hobbies, music, movies, TV shows, sports teams, etc.
- Stay connected via email, texts, Facebook or set up another time to meet in person.