Need to talk about everyday life concerns impacting your emotional well-being? Problem-Solving drop-in is an opportunity to talk with a mental health professional about a specific situation that is causing emotional stress. Often a single conversation may help you gain clarity and find ways to address it.
Problem-Solving drop-in is intended to be a one-time visit with a CPS provider. When you come to a Problem-Solving drop-in, your provider will work with you to understand the situation and help you develop a plan to address the problem. This may include connecting you to other campus resources that can help you along the way.
Among the typical problems discussed in these sessions are relationship problems, adjustment to campus life, career concerns, acculturation, or anxiety about academics.
These sessions are available to all Columbia students who have paid the Columbia Health and Related Services Fee.
If you are already seeing a CPS provider, please call 212-854-2878 to determine the best course of action based on your treatment plan or visit our Coping Tools page.
Please note that Problem-Solving drop-in is a supplementary support that is not intended to substitute for traditional counseling or other appropriate treatment options. If you are seeking ongoing counseling or psychiatric care, please call 212-854-2878 during regular business hours to arrange an initial phone consultation that will help guide you to the resource that is right for you.
How to access Problem-Solving drop-in
Problem-Solving drop-in is walk-in only. Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. See below for hours and locations
We are committed to maintaining our posted office hours, however options may occasionally become unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances.
As needed, your drop-in provider may refer you to individual therapy, support groups, or urgent drop-in counseling so that you get the appropriate support.
Thursdays, 5:30 to 7:00PM
Tuesdays, 12:00 to 2:00PM
- 9/10 – 215F
- 9/17 – 8th Floor Conference Room
- 9/24 – to be determined
- 10/1 – 205G
- 10/8 – 215F
Mondays, 5:30 to 8:30PM and Wednesdays, 4:30 to 8:30PM
***This office will be closed on 9/23/2019
Wednesdays, 1:00 to 3:00PM
Tuesdays, 11:00AM to 1:00PM
Undergraduate Residence Halls
Thursdays, 2:00 to 4:00PM
Mondays, 3:00 to 5:00PM
Mondays, 12:00 to 2:00PM
Wednesdays, 2:00 to 4:00PM
Tuesdays, 3:00 to 5:00PM
Note: graduate students will not be able to access drop-in located in undergraduate residence halls.
Other ways to get support
Columbia University has many resources to help you have a positive university experience.
- Consider speaking with a Health Promotion Specialist at Alice! Health Promotion. Drop by anytime between 3-5pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays or you can email email@example.com or call 212-854-5453 to make an appointment. You can discuss a variety of topics aimed at prioritizing your well-being including, but not limited to, improving sleep, managing stress, or reducing harm related to alcohol or substance use.
- For general questions about your overall health, visit Go Ask Alice!
- For resources regarding relationships and sexual respect, visit the Sexual Respect Initiative
- To discuss sexual health or to learn about HIV testing, visit GHAP (Gay Health Advocacy Project) at Columbia Health Medical Services
- To learn about nutrition and eating habits, visit our Nutrition page or make an appointment to see the Nutritionist at Medical Services
- To explore your faith and spirituality, visit the Office of the University Chaplain
- To learn about your substance abuse habits, take the alcohol self-assessment or the marijuana self-assessment
- For resources to help you sleep better, visit our Sleep page
- For more resources, see Alice! Health Promotion’s Links to Success