Susan G. Vitti
- Counseling and Psychological Services
Dr. Susan Vitti joined Columbia Health in 2016. Dr. Vitti has spent the majority of her career working with Veterans and their families. She worked for 10 years at the VA and is intensely interested in the concept of moral injury as the central trauma of exposure to war and combat. The deep philosophical and moral wounds these experiences can leave have led to her focus and explore suffering and the human relationship with suffering. Susan is interested in the use of meditation practice and its by product, mindfulness. She employs therapy models that focus on the inherent efficacy of each person in determining a life course that suits them as unique individuals that centers on self-compassion, self-awareness and personal responsibility. These models include acceptance and commitment therapy, motivational interviewing, and mindfulness-based practices.
For the last 5 years, Dr. Vitti has been a volunteer group facilitator at Omega Institute’s annual 5-Day Veteran’s retreat, hosted by a Vietnam Veteran who is also an ordained Zen Buddhist Monk.
In addition, she works with individuals who are interested in cultivating a healthier relationship with alcohol and other substances, which can include toxic relationships, high-risk behavior and anger.
- Ph.D.and M.A., Adelphi University - Derner Institute
- B.A., Hofstra University
Certifications and Licensure
- Licensed to practice clinical psychology in the state of New York
- Director of Behavioral Health/Long Island Federally Qualified Health Center-NUMC
- Primary Care Behavioral Health-Psychologist/ VAMC NY Harbor Healthcare System
- Director of Domiciliary Program-Residential Rehabilitation/ VAMCH NY Harbor Healthcare System
- Staff Psychologist/ NYS OMH Sing Sing Correctional Facility
- Forensic Psychology Fellowship: NYS OMH Bronx Psychiatric Center/Bronx TASC Program
- Internship: NYS OMH Bronx Psychiatric Center
- American Psychological Association
- NYS Psychological Association