Stalking: Get Support

The SVR Lerner 700 office is available for walk-ins during business hours. 

We also continue to offer virtual appointments. Please call 212-854-3500 to schedule a virtual appointment.

For urgent or after-hours support, please call the 24/7 helpline (212-854-HELP/4357) to speak with an advocate.

Click here for assistance calling internationally.

If You Have Experienced an Incidence of Stalking

It can be important to find a place where you feel comfortable and safe from harm. This location could be:

  • Home
  • Friend’s room
  • Local hospital
  • Police station

Trust your instincts. Do not go home or to your residence hall alone if you think you are being followed. Use nearby stores, emergency departments and other publicly visible areas, including Public Safety.

Find a Safe Haven location near the Morningside, Manhattanville, and Medical Center campuses to seek help with contacting Public Safety or the police.

    If you would like to have a survivor advocate meet or accompany you to a local hospital or New York City police precinct, call 212-854-HELP/4357 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year).


    Call 911 for immediate police protection and assistance.

    Contact Columbia Public Safety at 212-854-5555 for assistance on the Morningside campus.

    If you are being stalked or threatened, or have immediate concerns about your personal safety, Public Safety also provides a Walking Safety Escort Service.


    Call a confidential Survivor Advocate or Peer Advocate from Sexual Violence Response, (212) 854-HELP (4357) (available 24/7/365).

    Call a local stalking resource: 866-689-HELP (4357).


    Call a confidential Survivor Advocate or Peer Advocate from Sexual Violence Response, (212) 854-HELP (4357) (available 24/7/365). Advocates can review rights and options available to you (both on- and off-campus). 

    New York City Resources

    • New York City Domestic Violence Hotline: safety planning, referrals, and access to emergency housing for survivors of stalking and domestic violence. Call 1-800-621-HOPE (4673), or 311 to get connected. For TDD, call 1- 866-604-5350.  
    • New York City Family Justice Centers: Located in all five boroughs providing walk-in service for comprehensive civil legal assistance, counseling, and supportive services to victims of domestic and gender-based violence
    • New York City Coordinated Approach to Preventing Stalking (CAPS): call 212-788-3156 or visit their website.
    • The New York City Hope Online Resource Directory  

    A safety plan includes personalized, concrete steps you can take to reduce the possibility of being harmed, whether physically or emotionally, by an abusive partner.  

    • Cease all contact with your stalker.
    • Change your locks and install security devices.
    • Develop a safety plan for what you will do and where you will stay if your stalker shows up at your home, your class, or your job. Vary your routine if at all possible.   
    • Alert friends, roommates, classmates, family, and other trustworthy people in your life so that the stalker cannot elicit information from them.
    • Instruct your school or place of work not to disclose your contact information.
    • Change passwords for cell phones, email accounts, and social networking sites; do not post your location on social networking sites and make your profiles private.
    • Take any threats seriously.
    • Utilize safety tips from End Stalking In America
    • When technology is being used to stalk utilize resources at the National Network to End Domestic Violence

    Call a professional Survivor Advocate or Peer Advocate from Sexual Violence Response to assist you in creating a safety plan, (212) 854-HELP (4357) (available 24/7/365).

    • Keep a log of all stalking incidents including date, time, location, what happened, and any witnesses who may have been present. A standard stalking log sheet can be found here.
    • Be sure to save anything the stalker sends you, including packages and letters, as well as electronic documentation, such as emails, social media messages and text messages.
      • If possible, preserve unwanted digital contact in its original form rather than as recordings or screenshots. However, screenshots are at times the only option.  
    • Photograph evidence of trespassing, property damage or unwanted gifts.

    Counseling is often helpful for survivors because it provides a safe place to talk about your experience and your feelings.

    Counseling Resources:

    You may choose to speak with an advocate to enlist confidential support around:

    • Reporting rights:
    • On-campus accommodations (Housing, Academic, Financial)
    • On- and off-campus referrals (mental health, follow up care, healing support)
    • Safety planning
    • Assistance drafting a victim impact statement
    • Court advocacy or assistance obtaining legal representation
    • Remembering it's not your fault
    • Identifying a friend or other support person to be by your side

    Getting Support

    Sexual Violence Response can be accessed 24/7/365 by calling 212-854-HELP (4357). You have the option of working with a staff survivor advocate or, when available, a peer advocate. Both are confidential and certified by the New York City Department of Health to address issues of violence. They can provide crisis intervention and will discuss options for reporting and seeking medical help. They help survivors make informed decisions about their medical, legal, and disciplinary options. Advocates can accompany students to on- and off-campus resources such as hospital emergency departments, the police, the district attorney's office, and Columbia Public Safety.

    In light of COVID-19, SVR advocates will be operating remotely. If you are in need of an accompaniment during this time, please call the 24/7 helpline (212-854-HELP/4357) to discuss what virtual options and/or community resources are available to you.