Prior to joining Columbia, Maia worked as a social worker in the Victim Services Unit of the Kings County District Attorney’s Office. There she provided crisis counseling, support, and advocacy to survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and other crimes as they navigated the criminal justice system. Maia also co-coordinated the Brooklyn Sexual Assault Task Force as well as the Campus Sexual Assault Response Initiative, through which she provided trainings on sexual violence, consent, and healthy relationships throughout Brooklyn.
While obtaining her MSW, Maia provided support and advocacy to LGBTQ individuals from Orthodox Jewish backgrounds and their families through her work with Eshel. She also provided supportive counseling within Orthodox Jewish communities through the Bikur Cholim of Boro Park. Prior to obtaining her MSW, Maia was trained as a Massachusetts Rape/Crisis Counselor and provided crisis counseling and support to survivors of sexual violence and intimate partner violence through her work on hotlines and within a domestic violence shelter.
- BA 2012 Hampshire College
- MSW 2015 Yeshiva University Wurzweiler School of Social Work
Certifications and Licensure:
- Seminar in Field Education Certificate, Columbia University-School of Social Work, 2017
- Licensed Master of Social Work, 2015
- Massachusetts Rape/Crisis Counselor, 2010
- Social Worker, Kings County District Attorney’s Office, 2015-2018
- Social Work Intern, Eshel, 2014-2015
- Social Work Intern, Bikur Cholim of Boro Park, 2013-2014
- Counselor/Advocate, Center for Women and Community, 2010-2012
- Shelter Relief Staff, Safe Passage, Inc., 2011-2012