Laura Maudene Nelson is a nutritionist and instructor at the Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition and teaches graduate nutrition, medical, dental, nursing, and public health students.
She has been active with the American Diabetes Association, where she serves on the national board of directors, and the American Heart Association, where she previously served on the board of directors of the New York City Affiliate, the Advisory Council, Heart-at-Work, Nutrition Counseling Workshop Planning Committee, and as a member of the Nutrition Committee. She has also served on the editorial board for RN Magazine.
Maudene volunteers for the American Diabetes Association making public presentations and reaching out to elected officials to advocate for people with diabetes. She also coordinates opportunities for work site and community nutrition projects.
Best nutrition advice: Eat mostly foods that grow from roots not feet, and, watch out for shiny food – it may be glazed not polished.
- B.S., Human Nutrition, Cornell University
- M.S., Public Health Nutrition, Teachers College, Columbia University.
Certifications and Licensure
- Registered Dietitian
- New York State Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist
- Certified Diabetes Educator
- Instructs classes on nutrition, exercise, and weight management to adults and children patients at the Naomi Berrie Diabetes Center, New York City
- Nutrition assessments and counseling on home visits for Care Coordination Services, Philadelphia, PA
- Nutrition counseling in worksite wellness for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and Merrill Lynch
- Nutrition counseling in the student health service of Columbia University