Jose joined the SVR team as the Assistant Director of Direct Services in June of 2020. He has been doing power based personal violence (PBPV) intervention and prevention work for 6+ years. Prior to coming to Columbia, Jose spent 5 years at Florida State University coordinating campus-wide prevention education for PBPV and advising student organizations focused on advocacy and prevention.
Prior to FSU, Jose spent 2+ years providing technical assistance and training to victim advocates with the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence. Jose centers his work on providing access to equitable services that are identity informed to support survivors of color, LGBTQI+ survivors. He also has a research interest in masculinity and male survivors.
He received his Bachelor's in International Affairs from Florida State University and is in the process of completing his Master's in Higher Education. In his spare time, Jose enjoys music, sports, bad puns and spending quality time with his dog and best friend, Abbey.
- Masters in Higher Education, Florida State University (In progress)
- Bachelor’s in International Affairs, Florida State University
- Center for Health Advocacy and Wellness, Florida State University
- Florida Council Against Sexual Violence
- 211 Big Bend
- Florida Statewide Sexual Violence Helpline Advocate