Dr. Dawn Mcallister is a Urgent Care Physician at Columbia Health. She studied medicine at the University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine and then moved to New York to practice at The Family Medicine Residency Program at Montefiore. Afterwards she went to the Family Medicine Residency Program at Columbia University Medical Center in 1997 and taught medical students and residents there for about nine years as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Center for Family Medicine.
She moved away from the academic setting and worked at Community Health Centers where she could take care of patients regardless of their legal status or ability to pay for their health care. She has one son by birth who is now 16 years old and two by adoption from Ethiopia who are 15 and 10 years old. Dawn says she chose to come back to Columbia University in 2014 at the Student Health Service and truly enjoys with students, both optimizing health and treating health problems. As an androgynous lesbian mom, from a working class background, with African American sons, Dr. Mcallister hopes to offer a welcoming and supportive presence in the lives of all the students who come to visit at Columbia Health.
- M.D., University of Cincinnati
- B.A., History, University of California, Berkeley
Certifications and Licensure:
- New York State Medical License
- Board Certified: Diplomat of American Board of Family Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, Center for Family Medicine
- Federal Qualified Community Health Centers in New York City and Westchester
- Montefiore Medical Center, Family Medicine Residency