- Counseling and Psychological Services
Kwame Akowuah, M.D. joined Columbia Health in 2017. Prior to joining CPS, Kwame was Director of the Continuing Day Treatment program at the New York State Psychiatric Institute’s Audubon Clinic, where he also worked as a staff psychiatrist. Additionally, he was an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons.
Kwame earned his B.A. at Princeton University, and his M.D. at Cornell Medical College. He completed his residency training at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell Medical Center. He then went on to complete a fellowship in Psychiatry & the Law at NYU Medical Center/Bellevue Hospital.
Kwame's professional interests include mood disorders, psychosis & perceptual disorders, drug and alcohol use, medicolegal ethics, and questions surrounding religion/spiritual identity.
- M.D., Cornell Medical College
- B.A., English Literature, Princeton University
Certifications and Licensure:
- Board Certified in General Psychiatry
- Board Certified in Addiction Medicine
- Licensed to practice medicine in the state of New York
- New York State Psychiatric Institute
- Fellowship, NYU/Bellevue Hospital
- Residency, New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- International Neuroethics Society