Columbia Health is committed to providing support for students in recovery from opioid dependency and providing confidential, on campus medication-assisted treatment when appropriate.

Who is eligible to be prescribed SUBOXONE?  

Current Columbia students who are currently prescribed buprenorphine and naloxone (SUBOXONE, SUBUTEX) as part of their comprehensive opioid addiction treatment therapy AND have paid the Columbia Health and Related Services Fee may choose to continue their treatment at Medical Services with a certified prescriber.   

How do I make an appointment to get a SUBOXONE prescription? 

Eligible students can self-schedule by making an appointment for a physical exam with Sharon Sperling-Silber NP using the Patient Portal or by phone at 212-854-7426. 

How much will it cost? 

SUBOXONE is covered by the pharmacy benefits of the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan (with associated co-payments), and visits on campus are covered by the Columbia Health and Related Services Fee. Students who are using outside insurance must consult their plan benefits. 

Is SUBOXONE the same as Narcan?   

No, while SUBOXONE contains the same ingredient, naloxone, which is the antidote to reverse an opioid overdose, Narcan (naloxone) nasal spray is used in an emergency as a treatment for drug overdose.   

SUBOXONE is a medication that is used long term to help people recover from opioid addiction.  If you would like training in the use of naloxone, training and kits are available for the Columbia community by requesting an on-campus training for your group  or through the NYC Department of Health.  

What should I do if I or someone I know has an opioid dependence and is not in treatment?  

While Columbia Health does not currently initiate SUBOXONE therapy for those who are currently using opioids, we can assist you in finding local other confidential resources within the student insurance network until maintenance can be achieved.  Please schedule an appointment with your primary care clinician to discuss options available for care 

For more information about managing addiction, visit Go Ask Alice!’s answer on painkiller abuse. For counseling support, call Counseling and Psychological Services at 212-854-2878 to make an appointment.