A good night’s sleep may help to improve your performance!
The benefits of quality sleep include:
- Feeling energized and ready for school and work.
- Processing information more efficiently so learning and retaining information is easier.
- Promoting memory consolidation of what you’re studying or learning.
- Helping to maintain concentration.
Not getting enough shut-eye impairs your memory, concentration, reaction time, and ability to process information.
The potential consequences of sleep deprivation (e.g. all-nighters) include:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Depressed mood
- Lapses in concentration
- Impaired memory
- Decreased academic performance
- Weakened immune system
Consider sleep as part of your physical activity routine.
There are several reasons to prioritize sleep in support of physical health:
- Sleep affects hormones that control your appetite and regulate energy expenditure.
- Sleep may help support muscle recovery after physical activity.
- Recent studies have shown that not getting enough sleep might negatively affect your metabolism and make it difficult to maintain your energy balance.
Take the sleep assessment to learn more about your sleep habits and get individualized feedback about ways to improve your zzzs.
- Please note: Your responses to the assessment questions will be recorded and used to inform future efforts to support students’ sleep habits. Your responses will remain anonymous and will not be shared beyond the Alice! Health Promotion team.
To better understand why you need sleep, check out these resources: