Alice! Health Promotion Guide to Micronutrients
Micronutrients, also known as vitamins and minerals, are substances in your food that are essential for growth and energy. Check out these food sources to help you plan a micronutrient-rich diet!
Essential nutrients and their functions
- Vitamin A: helps maintain healthy teeth, skeletal and soft tissue, mucus membranes, vision, and skin.
- Vitamin C: helps regulate the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body, including the immune system.
- Vitamin K: helps make proteins for healthy bones, tissues, and blood clotting.
- Vitamin B12 & Folic Acid: helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy, and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells.
- Vitamin D: helps the body absorb calcium, one of the main building blocks of bone.
- Fiber: helps digestion, prevents constipation, lowers cholesterol, and control blood sugar levels.
- Calcium: helps muscle functioning and hormone secretion.
- Potassium: helps with nerve function and muscles contraction. It also helps maintain a steady heartbeat, and moves nutrients into and waste products out of cells.
- Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids: helps with digestion, fertility, cell division and growth, and regulation of metabolism.
Download the Alice! Guide to Micronutrients