Alice! Health Promotion Guide to Grocery Shopping
Before you go grocery shopping...
- Plan your meals ahead of time. Don't forget about healthy snacks! Check out the Alice! Health Promotion Meal Planner for some tips.
- See what items you currently have in stock by checking your refrigerator and pantry, then making a list of ingredients you still need.
- Eat before you shop. If you arrive hungry, you may be more likely to purchase unnecessary items!
Save more at the store…
- Check out store flyers for any sales or coupons on items you need. You can also join your store's loyalty program for special offers and discounts!
- Look up and down for savings: Stores often stock the priciest items at eye level, so check out upper and lower shelves, too!
- Most store-brands often cost less than name-brands, so check out the different options before buying.
- Grab from the back: Stores typically stock shelves from back to front, placing the newest and the freshest items behind the older ones.
- If you’re able, purchase non-perishable items in bulk, which may be sold at a lower cost.
- Choose fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. You can also try buying them canned or frozen to save some money.
- Pre-cut and instant items may be convenient, but they can also be more expensive than those that require prep time. Try opting for the whole items instead!
- United States Department of Agriculture: Eat Right When Money Is Tight
- Share Our Strength: Meeting your MyPlate Goals on a Budget
- United States Department of Agriculture: Build a Healthy Diet with Smart Shopping
Download the Alice! Guide to Grocery Shopping