- Counseling and Psychological Services
Adam Johnson joined Columbia Health in 2017. Adam received his doctorate in clinical psychology with a concentration in traumatic stress from the Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois. He also completed a fellowship in psychoanalysis with the Chicago Center for Psychoanalysis in 2012.
Prior to joining Columbia, Adam completed his doctoral internship and postdoctoral fellowship at VA Caribbean Healthcare System in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He has also worked in a variety of settings including private practice, community mental health, and medical clinics.
Adam’s clinical work and interests have focused on issues related to trauma, loss, bereavement, health psychology (e.g. smoking cessation, weight management, chronic and terminal illness), mindfulness, and relational patterns.
Adam is committed to LGBTQ and veteran’s mental health, and enjoys incorporating individual’s creative talents (i.e. music, art) and spirituality into therapy. Adam also has extensive experience working with issues related to acculturation and cultural diversity. He has completed international psychology projects focused human rights, education, and program development in Mexico, Costa Rica, South Africa, and the Dominican Republic.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology, Adler School of Professional Psychology
- M.A., Counseling Psychology, Adler School of Professional Psychology
- B.A., Psychology and Spanish, University of Iowa
- Certificate in Spanish Language, Literature, and Culture, Universidad de Guanajuato, Mexico
Certifications and Licensure:
- Licensed to practice clinical psychology in New York state
Awards and Honors:
- Social Justice Scholar, Adler School of Professional Psychology, 2009
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Division 44 (Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues)
- Association for Death Education and Counseling (ADEC)