Melanie Bernitz, MD, MPH
Dr. Melanie Bernitz joined Columbia Health in 2016 as Associate Vice President and Medical Director. Previously she served as the Interim Medical Director of Columbia Health and as the Executive Director of Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) Student Health Service (SHS). Prior to joining SHS, Dr. Bernitz was a resident, chief resident and faculty member in the Center for Family and Community Medicine at CUMC. Having grown up in the United Kingdom, Dr. Bernitz received both her bachelor’s degree in Psychology and her degree in Medicine at University College London. She then received her Master in Public Health at Columbia University.
Dr. Bernitz’s professional experience includes teaching and training of medical students and residents as well as inpatient and outpatient primary care. She is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Center of Family and Community Medicine at CUMC. Her clinical interests are women’s health and health maintenance, and she is committed to ensuring that college students have direct access to high quality timely medical care.
- MPH, Columbia University
- MD, University College London
- BSc, University College London
Certifications & Licensure
- Certified by the American Board of Family Medicine
- Licensed to practice medicine in the State of New York
- Executive Director, CUMC Student Health Service
- Primary Care Physician, CUMC Student Health Service
- Preceptor in Foundations of Clinical Medicine course – Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Narrative Medicine in Education and Practice. Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice, Fourth Edition, edited by Drs. Mitchell D. Feldman and John F. Christensen. Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw-Hill.
Awards and Honors
- Commendation for Excellence in Teaching Medical Students - Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Productivity Awards – New York Presbyterian Hospital Department of Medicine
- American College Health Association
- American Academy of Family Physicians