- Counseling and Psychological Services
James Pollock joined Columbia Health in 2014. He received his Ph.D. from New York University, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical health psychology at the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Yale School of Medicine. At New York University, James was a member of the research team at the Center for Health, Identity, Behavior, and Prevention Studies, focusing on behavioral research in HIV, substance use, sex, and mental health.
James enjoys teaching and was an adjunct lecturer at Hunter College for several years. Prior to pursuing a career in psychology, he was a New York City public school math teacher in the South Bronx. A Teach for America alumnus, he remains committed to multiple social justice issues.
James has trained in LGBTQ mental health in multiple settings, including the Institute for Human Identity and St. Vincent’s Medical Center. He is dedicated to supporting LGBTQ students. Other professional interests include behavioral health and Health Psychology (e.g., weight loss, smoking cessation, sexual health, and managing chronic illness). He is also committed to working with students to address problematic substance use and other addictions. James is an editorial board member for the Journal of Substance Abuse and Alcoholism.
Degrees and Education:
- Ph.D., New York University
- M.S.Ed., CUNY Lehman College
- B.A., Kalamazoo College
Certifications & Licensure:
- Licensed to practice psychology in the state of New York
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Moeller, R.W., Halkitis, P.N., Pollock, J.A., Siconolfi, D.E., Barton S. When the emotions really started kicking in, which ended up being a problem: Sex, HIV and emotions among young gay and bisexual men. Journal of Homosexuality. 2013; 60(5): 773- 795.
- Pollock, J.A., Halkitis, P.N., Moeller, R.W., Barton, S., Solomon, T.M., Siconolfi, D. Alcohol use among young men who have sex with men. Substance Use and Misuse. 2012; 47(1): 12-21.
- Halkitis, P.N., Pollock, J.A., Pappas, M.K., Dayton, A., Moeller, R.W., Siconolfi, D., Solomon. T. Substance use in the MSM population of New York City during the era of HIV/AIDS. Substance Use & Misuse. 2011: 46(2-3); 264-273.
- Pollock, J.A., Halkitis, P. N. Environmental factors in relation to unprotected sexual behavior among gay, bisexual, and other MSM. AIDS Education & Prevention. 2009; 21(4): 341-356.
- Halkitis, P. N., Moeller, R. W., Pollock, J.A. Sexual practices of gay, bisexual and other non-identified MSM attending New York City gyms: Patterns of serosorting, strategic positioning, and context selection. Journal of Sex Research. 2008; 45(3) 453-461.