What's New For 2013-14
Every year Columbia Health re-evaluates the benefits of the Columbia Student Medical Insurance Plan, making adjustments and negotiating changes as necessary so as to offer the most cost-effective appropriate coverage possible.
Below are the benefit modifications for the 2013-14 plan year:
Compliance with HHS regulations for student health insurance including the following increases:
- Basic Plan maximum up to $500,000
- Prescription drug benefits in the Basic and Comprehensive plans up to $500,000
- $500 out-of-network deductible added to both the Basic and Comprehensive plans
- Medical and mental health care obtained 50 miles or more away from Columbia Health, on the Morningside Campus, no longer require a referral in advance of service.
Waiver Criteria Changes
- Policy year maximum benefit level increased from $300,000 to $500,000
- Plan deductible cannot be more than $2,000 per individual or $4,000 per family
- Inpatient mental health and substance abuse must be covered for a minimum of 30 days
- Outpatient mental health and substance abuse must be covered for a minimum of 2o visits per year