Register with Disability Services
Students seeking reasonable accommodations or support services from Disability Services (DS) are required to register with the office. This does not occur automatically upon enrollment at Columbia University. Services received in high school or at other universities do not automatically transfer to Columbia University.
Disability Services Registration Process
The Disability Services registration process includes the following steps for both undergraduate and graduate students:
- Submit a completed Registration Form.
- Submit documentation verifying your disability status and the need for accommodations. For disability documentation guidelines, please refer to our Documentation Guidelines.
- Disability Services will review each request and determine eligibility for accommodations and services. The review process does not begin until your completed Registration Form AND your disability documentation are received. It will take approximately three weeks to review your request.
- Meet with Disability Services. Students will be contacted by a coordinator to schedule an orientation meeting. During this required meeting, your coordinator will review the policies and procedures regarding the provision of reasonable accommodations. This meeting will help to familiarize students with Disability Services and to facilitate the accommodations process.
- Professor and/or School Notification
a) Undergraduate Students ONLY (Graduate Students skip to 5b)
At the start of each new semester:
- Students are required to present each of their professors an Accommodation Letter issued by DS.
- These letters include recommendations for reasonable accommodations for the student.
- Each professor will review the Disability Services recommendations, and should sign each letter indicating they either agree to implement the recommended accommodations or request consultation with Disability Services to determine alternative accommodations that are a better fit for the course.
- Signed letters must be returned to Disability Services prior to the implementation of accommodations.
b) Graduate Students ONLY
After meeting with your Disability Services coordinator, contact your program’s Disability Services Liaison. Disability Services Liaisons are designated Columbia faculty or staff from each school or academic program who work with Disability Services to coordinate accommodations for students with disabilities. During the first meeting, the Disability Services Liaison will review the protocols and procedures for receiving accommodations. Students are expected to adhere to the procedures at their respective schools in order to remain eligible for receiving accommodations.