Counseling and Psychological Services Appointment
Students who are interested in meeting with a counselor should call Counseling and Psychological Services at (212) 854-2878.
During Scheduled Clinical Hours
Students requesting an appointment for individual counseling for the first time will be scheduled for a confidential phone appointment with a CPS counselor. The purpose of this conversation is to clarify and assess your needs and explore options for next steps.
- Are scheduled at your convenience, usually within one or two business days of your initial call
- Insure that students in crisis have a face-to-face appointment without unnecessary delay
- Allow us to match all students with an appropriate professional on the CPS team for in-person counseling
- Allow us to assist students in need of referrals to connect with off-campus resources as quickly and efficiently as possible
- Provide an opportunity for CPS counselors to direct students, when appropriate, to self-care resources and to provide initial recommendations for managing stress or related issues.
In the event of an acute psychiatric emergency, you may come directly to Counseling and Psychological Services without an appointment during our scheduled clinical hours.
Arriving for Your Appointment
Counseling and Psychological Services is located on the 8th floor of Alfred Lerner Hall. Please arrive 10 minutes before your first scheduled appointment to give yourself time to fill out the forms that we will need to serve you best.
Counseling and Psychological Services also offers counseling to undergraduate students on a drop-in basis in our residence hall offices at 100 Carman Hall, 210 East Campus, 112A Hartley Hall, 102 Broadway and 600 W. 113th St, Room 2BB.
Law School students only can be seen in the Law School Drop-In Office, Room 649, during scheduled drop in hours.
After-Hours Urgent and Emergencies Situations
For urgent or emergency situations when we are closed, please contact:
- After-hours Clinician-on-call: (212) 854-2878 (Urgent situations after hours), or
- St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center Psychiatric Emergency Room (Emergency situation)
For additional information check the Mental Health Emergency section of this site.